The polyamorist of polish
I’ve never done a “best of” before. Why? Easy: because I can’t choose. I wouldn’t have a collection as large as I do if I could!
The fact is, I love aaaallll my babies: the good boys and the bad boys, the new and the old, mainstream and indie, cheap and high end. I’d say that they’re like children to a mother, but I don’t want to be blasphemous. May I define myself as the polyamorist of polish, then?
This year, though, I decided to try and pick a bunch of favourites: hopefully ten, more realistically eighteen… eventually twenty five. But I’m going to cheat and pass seven of them as “honorable mentions”. You’re warned! Shall we start?
The Fabulous Eighteen
Chapter 1: the surprise favourites
Does it ever happen to you that you look at the bottle of polish you’re holding and you wonder what the heck you were thinking when you purchased it? It’s not the color you like, the finish you enjoy…
But then you put it on your nails and boom! you’re in love!
That’s exactly what happend to me with the shades I’m going to show you below.
1) Enchanted Polish Entwined: even though it might seem pink at some angles, it’s much more than that: it’s dark, vampy, mysterious, it shifts and changes and glows. I love it so much that I’m going to wear it when I finally marry Keanu Reeves.
2) A England Katherine of Aragon: those flakies!
3) Masura The pyramid of Cheops: I got it for the name, but I ended up being mesmerized.
4) Femme Fatale Jareth: pink glitter in a bronzy-orangey base? Me? I like orange, but it’s an unrequited love: it looks awful on me! But I fell hard for Jareth anyway.
5) F.U.N Lacquer Chandelier: the epitome of polishes that look like baby poop in the bottle, but are incredibly beautiful on the nails.
6) Emily de Molly Over Drive: is it red? is it orange? don’t tell me it’s pink! It doesn’t matter: it’s spectacular.
Chapter 2: I’m so predictable
Blue and purple are my go-to colours to paint my nails with – and the darker the better! Here are some of the most delightful blues and purples I wore this year:
7) Essie Aruba Blue: photos can’t really show the real texture of this polish: it’s like silk velvet. If you don’t own it, run out and grab it: I’ll wait here, sipping a coffee. With some pastry, of course.
8) Cadillacquer Scintilla: I’m usually more into cool-toned purples, but this one stole my heart. I find it classy but with fire inside!
9) Polish Alcoholic Tempest Shadow: the colour, the flakies, the holo sparkle… gorgeousness.
10) Tonic Polish Angelfish: the most amazing fish you’ll ever sea! Ehehehe…
11) Cirque Tibetan Nights: an oldie but a goodie! And when I say good, I mean good to the point that it almost makes me appreciate bar glitter – ALMOST.
Chapter 3: greedy for green
I’m not the biggest fan of yellow-based green shades (unless it’s chartreuse or olive/camo green), but blue-based, teal-leaning hues are right up my alley: the following are good examples, and they all have a twist!
12) Pretty Serious Khepri’s Amulet: of the few PS polishes I own, this is my second favourite (my number one being Gruesome Groom) and for good reasons, as I hope you can see from the picture!
13) Colors by Llarowe Emeral Illusion: this polish! I still drool over the memory of it in my mind (very poetic image, I know… XD). In the picture you’ll see it layered over my (failed) attempt at almond-ish nails. Filled with horror, I went back to my usual shape shortly after.
14) Anna Gorelova by Dance Legend 14 – Silvan (Wood Goblin): a perfect, velvety matte finish and a purple to green duochrome. Stunning.
15) Different Dimension Helix Nebula: celestial, quite literally!
Chapter 4: holo-la-la!
There was a time when I used to think that holographic varnishes weren’t my cup of tea. How could I be so wrong, as the Backyard Babies sing?
I turned that abomination into dedication.
16) Essence Hello Holo from the Holo Rainbow line: sometimes drugstore polishes can be surprisingly good, and this is definitely the case – the holo is glorious!
17) Foxy Paws Is Your House On Fire?: my phone doesn’t like darker reds and tries to turn them into cherry tomatoes every time (and I’m obviously clueless when it comes to correct the colour with an editing app). Therefore what you see in my photo is NOT what the polish looks like in real life: it’s darker, richer and much more shiny. A real beauty that you need to see with your own eyes.
a) Scofflaw Varnish Dingoes Ate My Baby: which is the name of Oz’s band in “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”. Scofflaw is one of my favourite indie brands ever and Buffy TVS is one of my favourite shows of all time (because of Spike, the Perfect Vampire): need I say more? And the polish is stunning!
b) Foxy Paws Accidental Boob Graze: which is something Jack Black says to Kate Winslet in “The Holiday”. Holo+teal+Foxy Paws+Jack Black? Yes, please.
c) Zoya Storm: a classic. I loved it more than I thought I would: it’s really, really pretty.
d) Femme Fatale An Abandoned World: look at that flash!!
e) Enchanted Polish Instant Galaxy: yes, it’s a topper, but looks like the stars in the sky (with diamonds). In the pics it’s layered over Zoya Ryan and Opi I Brake For Manicures.
f) Kiko #497 Pearly Indian Violet: what Kiko really means by “pearly” is one of the best kept mysteries in the history of the world, but despite that, #497 is perfection.
g) Renaissance Cosmetics Enamoured: a purple polish that glows. Too gorgeous for words. I’m so sad that Renaissance Cosmetics is no longer on the market! Meghan had such a personal style.
I saved the most special polish for last. It’s my “collaboration” shade with Cadillacquer. It’s called Devotion and it’s part of the Fan Collection 2018.
At the end of 2017 Madeleine, the owner and creator of Cadillacquer polish, asked her fans to send her some colour suggestions as well as the inspiration behind them. She eventually picked eight winners and, to my surprise and delight, I was among them! In 2018 my idea came to life thanks to Madeleine. I can’t express how blessed I felt!
My shade is based on the lyrics of “Bittersweet”, a song by one of my most loved bands ever, Apocalyptica. It’s a cool toned purple polish with magenta shimmer and gold holographic glitter. Not crazy unique, I know, but I like it so much!
Once again, I wish I was a better swatcher and a better photographer with better equipment just to be able to show you the real beauty of this varnish!
So these are, in a few words (hahahahah!), my favoutite polishes of 2018.
If you want, I’d be very happy to hear about yours: leave me a comment!
See you next year for more prettiness (the polish) and silliness (me). Happy 2019!
DISCLAIMER: all the photos are my own; all the polishes were purchased by me with my own money except for Devotion, which I received from the maker as a gift.